The CFPB needs to make it easy for consumers to complain about what the lender or servicer did, such as by providing a stock set of complaints with check boxes beside them, and allow consumers to fill in any additional details.
Boxes for each of these (for example)
- Servicer Force-Placed hazard insurance on my property
- I already had insurance that had not expired and complied with requirements
- Force-placed insurance company charged more than my previous policy, so obviously the servicer did not submit it for competitive bidding:
- 1.5x or less
- between 1.5x and 2x
- between 2x and 3x
- between 3x and 4x
- between 4x and 5x
- 5x or more
Servicer did not alert me of the expiration of the hazard insurance policy or the need to renew it. Servicer lied about terms of loan mod
- Servicer told me I’d have to miss payments in order to qualify for loan mod
- Servicer strung me along for months without making a determination of whether or not to provide a loan mod.
- Servicer claimed to lose paperwork I submitted
- 1 time
- 2 times
- 3 times
- 4 or more times
Servicer failed to provide me with notice of acceleration or intent to foreclose etc. These should come from typical complaints people file. YOU could help by providing a comprehensive list of items you know about.
People get an extra benefit of such a table of complaints and exacerbations lies. It alerts them to issues that could arise, and it helps them to think back to whether it happened or not, so they can include EVERY worthy THING in the complaint.